Saturday, October 28, 2006

DST: What's the Big Deal, Anyway?

So, we all get an extra hour of sleep tonight. DST is an interesting feature of our country. What is the big deal anyway? I don’t understand what the hype is about this stupid time change. If people really want to get up earlier during the summer, do it! We don’t need to change the time to make that happen. The argument I heard was that it is for the farmers. Well, great, what does the time of day matter to a farmer anyhow? I’m not mad or bitter, I just think it is a stupid idea. Indiana was one of the last states to fall trap to the time change too. I understand why we went to DST, because of the new legislation and their effort to increase business relations with bordering states. It is a good idea if it will help, but I’m still skeptic. Speaking of legislation, I am excited about having someone who wants to increase business in our state. Lately, it seems we have lost a lot with the outsourcing of steel mills to overseas providers. This is one main reason we only had some 1.3% increase in GDP instead of a projected 2.2%. Indiana is also now home to the poorest county in the U.S. (according to IPFWs’ economics professor Dr. David Dilts, who specializes in the research area of labor relations). I am quickly taking a liking to the economics department at IPFW, the field seems very interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home