Friday, November 17, 2006

Playstation 3 vs. Wii

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2006/11/17/ps3_debuts_to_long_lines_conn_shooting/

Finally, the long-anticipated release of Sony’s Playstation 3!! But, is it worth 600 bones and a week of camping out in front of Best Buy to get one? I think not! I would love to have the chance to play one everyday, but not for the price. There is no way you’ll see me spending $600 for a PS3 plus $60 per game. You would be more likely to see me playing the new Wii, by Nintendo. It is a fully interactive gaming system, where the remote control is your controller. It is not only a remote control, but it is motion sensitive; so, if you are playing tennis, it is your racket, if you are bowling, it is your hand grasping the bowling ball. This idea is new and innovative, making more of a reality-based game play, where you and your friends can have a lot of fun together actually using your sensory skills. I am not bad at using my fingers and thumbs to control a player, but it would be a lot more fun and creative to use your body movement, i.e. in the new Wii. The name is pronounced “wee,” like something you’d say when going down a slide at the park. The games seem to be more innovative than the traditional “better graphics, more realistic game play” of most the latest and greatest systems available today.

Eventually, I think you will be able to be fully-immersed in a video-game, to the point where your arm will hurt from pitching in baseball. Imagine how much fun it would be to play baseball on the computer screen, in the big leagues, all in the comfort of your own home and your only real opponent your best friend. I think the Wii’s success will be murdered by that of the PS3, because so many people have to have the new Sony product. There will be some losers (such as myself) who find innovative, creatively new concepts the most fun to play. I don’t see myself purchasing either of these products for a long time (when you can get them for under $200), but I would certainly enjoy playing them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home